“Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.” Sylvia Plath

50 years ago, Poet Sylvia Plath committed suicide in her London flat.  She was 30 years old.

Below are some images in honor of her and her life...and of course, one poem.


I wish I knew the artist of this...
Mad Girl's Love Song


I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

The stars go waltzing out in blue and red,
And arbitrary blackness gallops in:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed
And sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

God topples from the sky, hell's fires fade:
Exit seraphim and Satan's men:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I fancied you'd return the way you said,
But I grow old and I forget your name.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

I should have loved a thunderbird instead;
At least when spring comes they roar back again.
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)” 
― Sylvia Plath


Sylvia Plath, Age 3


Sylvia with kids







  ~ Click here to subscribe to Book of Kells by email or in your favorite reader

Comments

  1. Such a perfect tribute. I had forgotten she was so young . . . in my (terribly shoddy) memory, she was at least in her forties. Sigh. Thank you for sharing such happy photos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.