Confession Tuesday -Once in a Lifetime



Dear Reader,

It's been some nice weather, a camping trip, and a lot going on since my last confession.  I swear, I don't remember August.  I'm sure it happened as I have a full calendar of things I did, but it was a wingflash, flying by my window as I tried to decide what to wear.

But here we are, it's Tuesday and I must have things to confess... I do.

To the confessional--

I confess this summer has been filled with reading a lot and keeping up with laundry.  Really, writing and laundry are about all I can handle in a day.  And honestly, either a poem or a sock gets lost in the mix.

In the middle of this, I shall say, I am very thankful to be able to do laundry.  Yes, the HUGE home project of new septic system and drainfield is completely finished.  We have a beautiful yard of dirt (all the grass was dug up) and half of our fence is gone (I'm now working on making new stairs and a flagstone path).

This is the poetry in my life lately-- yardwork.  Self Portrait with Gardening Shears.

But thankfully again, the Northwest will turn to rain and I will be able to stay inside and write without feeling guilty of our warzone-style yard and garden area.

~
I confess while being outside yesterday, I wandered down to a vacant lot and picked a ton of blackberries to make the most delicious (and easy) blackberry cobbler ever.  Five ingredients: 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, blackberries, lemon juice.  That's it.  And it was incredible!

~

Having nothing to do with blackberries, I must confess that I so dislike prologues.  I might even say-- hate them.  Let's just get to the story, please don't bore me with the warm-ups, get to the pitch and the hit.

~

I confess a couple months I did a blog about not watching much television, but I confess, I'm currently hooked on the new season Project Runway (you're right, I don't have cable, but I watch it on MyLifetime.com - I am so ridiculous, I know).  We are all fans of Anya in this household, the Trinidad designer who just learned how to sew 4 months ago.  She's fabulous and I hope she wins.

Also, while I am very anti-Heidi Klum (I swear to gawd she has happy mean streak), I am very pro-Tim Gunn.  I love him like a new pair of shoes.  And I learned he has a new book out-- Gunn's Golden Rules: Life's Little Lessons for Making It Work.  And I confess, I just got the sample on iBooks.

~

I confess today my daughter began her first day of middle school.  I tend not to discuss my family here, but in my me-centered world, I just keep thinking, "How did I become a parent of a middle-schooler?!"  (and in the back of my brain, "I'm so young!" --um, I'm not, I just feel that way).

But off she went today, leaving me the whole day for my writing.

After this post, I'm off to clean up my writing shed (aka House of Sea), my writing studio, and get back to work.  I have set my writing aside all summer, but it begins again, as does Crab Creek Review and an eBook anthology I'm editing with the other CCR editor.

My writing life begins again today.  I'm not sure how I'm feeling except I'm here and in my head a lot.  Thinking about life and the past and everything in between.  I guess we have days like this, days where we look at our life and think, "How did I get here?"  Just like the Talking Heads sang. . .

And You May Find Yourself In Another Part Of The World
And You May Find Yourself Behind The Wheel Of A Large Automobile
And You May Find Yourself In A Beautiful House, With A Beautiful Wife
And You May Ask Yourself-Well...How Did I Get Here?


Amen.

Comments

  1. we also don't have tv at home--but watch project runway online! some things are too hard to give up entirely ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love blackberries, I wish we had them growing in our yard. I wonder how they would do in the Missouri climate.

    OH, and we are into Project Runway too! I'll have to check out Tim's book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.