Significance vs. Success - A New Way To Think about Achievement




Stop Chasing Success. Seek Significance.




The other day I posted a past blog post on success.

Today on Becoming Minimalist, a blog by Joshua Becker about the simple life and beyond ( living as a "minimalist" - a term to describe those who live on less, sometimes less than less), they had a great article about why to see significance and not success.

I had never thought of it this way.  Well, I had, but I didn't use or think of the word "significance."

I think in our culture that once had a TV show called Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous, we can be bamboozled into thinking success/a lot of money, is the same thing.  But I like that word, significance.  How can you (I) be significant in the world?  How can you (I) be significant in our lives?

One of my favorite points in this post is this--

Success ends on the day you die. On the day you die, all wealth and possessions will be immediately transferred to someone else. And even if you get to pick where they go, the reality is that person is always someone other than you.


I love that.  Stuff is just stuff.  You are not your khakis.

Anyway, I've linked up the article if you want to hear Joshua's thoughts on it.


Share

Comments