Sunday, December 06, 2009

Letter Writers of the World...

So, I love to write letters.

I always have. Near my writing space, I keep postcards and in my closets, notecard after notecard. I'm highly unorganized though. But dedicated. And in love with paper. (Sorry trees, but I love you in both forms.)

So I found this blog today: Good Mail Day

And this book: Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art

which I have just added to my Christmas Wish List.

It looks mouthwatering to me. Letters sent and received. Is it a luxury these days? I'm not sure, but I cannot wait to learn new ways to make my letters even better than the handstamped quickies I send out.

Another way to create. Another way to put a little beauty in the world and into someone else's life. I love it.


  1. I think about what has happened to letter writing and it's a sad causality I suppose of both technology and busy lives. When I was young, the surprise and excitement of a personal letter from my grandmother or someone else for that matter was such a warm and personal feeling. I don’t think my kids really ever learned this experience. It would be a good goal for 2010 to drop them a personal letter or at least a note card on a routine basis.

  2. i love still sending letters to my grandmother but i have found that treating email like a real "letter" makes it a great deal more fun :)

    although i do miss having pen pals in print.

  3. For many years, decades, I kept up active constant letter writing with friends -- especially poet friends -- all over the United States, and occasionally elsewhere in the world. I've saved all of the paper letters I've received, even quick scribbled notes.

    I've never kept a journal, but to some extent the letters I've written to people over the years have served -- in part -- as a kind of journal, a sort of thinking out loud. I've tended to start a letter, then I continue it over the next three or four days, before I finally mail it. Paper letters, I mean.

    A paper notebook is also much lighter weight, and easier to carry around, than even a small laptop computer. And paper doesn't crash. I have things written on paper that have outlived any hard drive ever made.

    I think also of the vast knowledge, the history, that has come down to us preserved in letters people have written. Computers are a useful tool for some kinds of things, they can search faster, they edit and make copies faster, all of which have there upside and down side -- but I believe in the end paper (or something resembling paper) will outlast them. Letters will one day reclaim the world.


Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails