Tasks, Rain, and Photographs


This morning my friend is coming over to take some headshots of me for White Pine Press. This probably won't be for the author photo (unless one turns out really well), but to send to Poets & Writers for their announcement section. It's currently pouring down rain outside so expect an umbrella to appear in one or two of those photos.

I had wanted the photos to be taken in my writing shed since that is pretty much my own Emily Dickinson room. I'm interested to see how with the weather and lighting, these will turn out. Please wish me a good hair day.


* * *

The other two things I'm working on is my bio (okay, technically I'm not "working" on it as I have a bio, many bios, I just need to send it to White Pine) and sending a copy of my final manuscript. If you know me, you know I have perfectionist tendencies, so having to send a final manuscript knots up my stomach a bit.

I am currently reading each poem aloud and asking the poem if it really belongs (deserves) to be in this manuscript. A few poems are holding their tongues. Silly poems.

* * *

In an upcoming post, I am going to give you the details in how long it took me to get to this place of publishing my manuscript, not to depress you as I didn't pull a Louise Gluck and write these poems over a ten week period and then publish them to go on to win the Pulitzer (a la Wild Iris), but just to detail that many times what seems to have been "an overnight success," has a back history.

I submitted this mss very early on when it wasn't ready (but I was ready!) These last couple years, it has felt complete to me and finished. I'm not sure I could say that when I began.

* * *

Once I get all my details out to White Pine Press, I'll go into the details of how long it took, how many contests or submissions, etc. if you're interested in hearing that. I don't want to freak anyone out, but I also don't want you to be discouraged if you send out your manuscript to three places and it's rejected, to think that's an accurate reflection on your work.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested, I'm happy to report the good, bad, and ugly.

Hope you're having a good Saturday. If I don't break the camera, I may post a few of the photos here to see if there are any good ones to use.

Comments

  1. I think a photo of you with an umbrella would be fantastic. Especially if you could find a black umbrella against your beautiful blond hair but that's what happens when your kid becomes a photographer.

    I've stayed in the Emily Dickinson room. More than once. Can't wait to read these poems, Kelli.


    xor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Details yes! Of course we want details. OK, I do. I would guess that I'm not alone. After all, the wait till next fall will seem like an eternity till we get to read the book. In the meantime we want the making of the book "details."

    ReplyDelete
  3. all the bloody details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to hear details, especially in terms of how many revisions you did. As the years go on, and the poems in the manuscript become older, and the new poems accumulate, it's hard to know whether or not to create a brand new manuscript with just the new poems or to revisit the old manuscript (and then to do what? completely rework? just make judicious substitutions? sigh!).

    Congrats on your success! I look forward to reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HUGE congrats on winning the White Pine Press competition! I can't wait to read the book -- and yes, I would love to hear of this MS's journey! And also details of your photo shoot, having just subjected myself to one recently for my first book -- painful! Best wishes....

    ReplyDelete
  6. definitely want details :) and I like kristin's idea of revision numbers as well. i haven't kept very good track of that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, interested, absolutely & in every way!

    (word ver: lingstu...seems vaguely appropriate...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.