Confession Tuesday


Dear Reader,

It's that time when I tell you what I've done this last week that maybe I shouldn't have done, or maybe I shouldn't have thought, or maybe if there wasn't confession Tuesday I'd have no reason to tell you these things...


Let's begin. To the confessional--

I confess I want to find the person who came up with the idea to put the arrow on the gas gauge to tell the driver what side of the car the gas cap is on because that person has kept me sane. S/he would probably be on my list for a genius grant.

*

One of my favorite expressions my mum uses while driving is, "Come on, Jerko."

When I'm annoyed with someone while driving I say, "Come on, Little Man." I changed "jerko" it a bit since my daughter was younger.

*

Speaking of my daughter, yesterday she saw someone (a possibly-unhealthy, quite thin, waif-model-like woman) with really skinny legs and said, "She has skinny legs, not like curvy strong muscly legs like me. I bet she wishes she had my legs!" Having grown up in a family of women who spent my entire childhood complaining about their curvy bodies, always wanting to be ultra thin, never appreciating how they look or how we look, I had this glimpse that we're so close to breaking this unwanted family tradition and actually feeling good about our bodies. If we can raise one generation who doesn't wish to look like someone we're not then I feel we've succeed a bit.

After she said this I did have to have the conversation that women come in all different sizes and it's okay for a person to be super skinny if that's their body type. But I smiled all the way through it thinking, "She didn't want to be her, she doesn't want to be her!"

* * *

I don't think I'd be able to be happy without some sort of pet in the house with me. And maybe happy isn't the right word, but sane.

* * *

I believe in synchronicity and serendipity. I think coincidences are easy-to-overlook miracles. I have been trying to keep track of the synchronicities in my life.

I will quote St. Elmo's Fire to finish this confession, "I'm beginning to think there are no accidents” Ally Sheedy. I confess I have always remembered that line from St. Elmo's Fire.

* * *

I confess most of my dreams have to do with Halloween (even when it's not autumn, this is a constant theme in my dreams), being on a cruise ship or airplane, and/or buying a house. In my twenties all my dreams were about parking garages. I am so glad I am past that. I love having it be Halloween in all my dreams, though I hate the anxiety when I realize it's Halloween and I don't have a costume, haven't decorated, or forgot to take my daughter trick or treating.

Comments

  1. that moment with you daughter is awesome!

    i confess i have not gotten dressed today and i confess that i don't feel like reading poetry submissions today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that your daughter is following in your footsteps, in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love the confession about your daughter's great body image. If I ever have kids, I hope they feel/think like that too, as I also come from a long line of body haters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.