What's in a Painting? Jackson Pollack


Mural, 1943-44, and a sketch of the large signature that an art historian sees inside the painting.

©2009 POLLOCK-KRASNER FOUNDATION/ARTISTS RIGHTS SOCIETY (ARS), NEW YORK/UNIVERSITY OF IOWA MUSEUM OF ART, GIFT OF PEGGY GUGGENHEIM 1959.6
_____________________

I *love* stuff like this--



An upcoming book makes the provocative claim that Jackson Pollock spelled out his name in giant letters in his iconic Mural—but not all scholars agree.


by Kate Taylor
Among the reasons that people continue to be fascinated by Jackson Pollock’s paintings is their Rorschach quality. Viewers have perceived many things in them, from scenes out of classical mythology to Jungian symbols. In Tom and Jack, an upcoming book about the relationship between Pollock and his teacher Thomas Hart Benton, art historian Henry Adams finds a very surprising image hidden in Pollock’s 1943–44 Mural: the artist’s own signature.

Read the whole article at ARTNews

Comments

  1. Art is something I really wish I had taken a course or two on in college. I can say - I like this or I don't like that but I don't know what I am looking for quite often and I just wish I knew more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pollack, has always been a poet, I have been reading his paintings fir years...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessie, I would have loved to be a visual artist, but I think just being a viewer of art is important and listen to your gut, it will tell you more than any class. Thanks for your note.

    Ben, I love what you wrote. So true.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.