Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Best Poet Portraits



****I love this photo of Albert Goldbarth because it hints as what a lot folks don't realize-- he still types his letters, poems, etc. on a typewriter. He is not electronically connected to anything, no email, nada. I think this portrait captures his softness which many overlook in him.





Randall Jarrell - I love both of these photos because they captured his spirit and his passion for cars. I just look at them and feel happy.

Denise Levertov-- What a beautiful person, inside & out. I think this portrait captures her peacefulness.




William Carlos Williams-- This photo gives me a nostalgia for my own father and I love his expression. This photo is very endearing.


Anne Sexton - The master of the pose. She was a model and incredibly beautiful, so she was to photograph. Someone who reads this blog suggested to me a book of all her last photographs which I purchased. It is seriously difficult to take a bad photo of her. But what I love about this photo is that it captures a time. Cigarette pants, typewriter, cigarette. She was always able to pull things off that others couldn't. I can't imagine how ridiculous I would look posed like this, but her, it looks natural and iconic.


Edna St. Vincent Millay-- When my friend was taking my photo for my first book, I showed her this photo and said I wanted something like this. She came up with this. Which surprisingly, was the first photo I've actually liked of myself. I still like this photo, though as I age, I'm getting farther and farther away from looking like that.

But I think Edna, who could also pose naturally with her hand on her cheek (as could Jane Kenyon) without looking posed, really captures in this photo what I think of poetry-- a poet and the world around them connecting. She becomes the poem in this photo. She is magnolia and woman, background and twig.

* * *

6 comments:

Lori said...

Oh, wow! This is very inspiring. I always liked to read writers' biographies, just to get an idea of who they really are and now I realize that a photo like the ones you show here can do just that.

They do look natural, like they belong in their space and the space belongs to them.

I especially love the Edna St. Vincent Millay photo and how indeed, it doesn't look posed when it almost feels like it should.

I know what you mean know about good photos.

And oh yeah, I'll definitely hang around here very often.

January said...

What a nice post. Lovely to see all those faces. I have a photo book of poets that I had to take out once I saw your comments.

Love the Anne Sexton photo. One of my long-term projects is to write a screenplay about her.

Michael said...

Kelli:

I have a book tiled Anne Sexton - The Last Summer. It's a collection of Arthur Furst photos he took of her at various visits during that last summer of her life. It's a wonderfully illuminating book of my new Dead Poet Mentor. ;)

Lyle Daggett said...

I've seen several of these photos elsewhere before, the ones of Millay, Levertov, and Sexton. I like the photos.

Something I noticed, that struck me about the photo of Anne Sexton, that I hadn't noticed when I've seen the image before, is how long her hands are.

Jessie Carty said...

loved seeing these :)
i had only seen the sexton one but i love the edna st vincent millay one and your photo that it inspired :)

Kells said...

Glad you all enjoyed these. It felt good choosing these photos of poets and sharing them. I'm glad you got something from them too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Most Popular Posts