Thoughts on a Saturday Morning...

Magnetic Poetry--

I found these lines on my refrigerator created by my daughter and her friend--

we swim at death

our beat in the sleep

elaborate use of produce


***The "elaborate use of produce" made me laugh.

~

Regular Life--

It was 80 here yesterday. I went to the Woodland Park Zoo with my daughter's class. I think every other grade school in Seattle had the same idea as the zoo was full of field trips. My favorite place at the zoo is the nocturnal house (my favorite animal being the slow loris). But I love the bats and all the night animals, though I'm not crazy about the blind cave fish (but would love to use that in a poem...)

~
The Statement that Wouldn't Write Itself

I'm still trying to write my artist statement for the fellowship I'm applying to. I will not fail and will complete it, but I tend to think it's going to be one of those things that happens last minute.

~

Invitations--
I've been thinking a lot about what we invite into our lives (as writers, artists, and just as people in general). There are so many ways we let things into our world--the internet, the television, friendships or relationships. Every once in a while I take a moment to consider who and what I've invited into my life and make adjustments. I am notorious for "hiding" friends on Facebook or deleting channels on my television.

While I think we should all be informed about the world around us, I think we need to filter what we bring into our lives (always remembering that the news media is a for-profit corporation--remember swine flu? What better way to get people watching your 24 hr a day news channel then by freaking them out on their own personal well-being).

As poets and writers, we may be more sensitive to the world around us and that's a plus, but it may also shut us down in different ways. Relationships may do that as well. I think it's important to be selective, to surround ourselves with others to support us and fill us in a positive way.

I try to do this in my own life. It's hard sometimes. Sometimes I have to let someone who was once a good friend go, other times I have to look at my schedule to make sure it's filled with what I want to do. I think this year, I've been doing a pretty good job of this, but as the next season approaches, I find myself pausing for a moment to make sure I'm still on the path I want to be with the people and things I like the best.


*

Comments

  1. Oh, I do the same thing, too. I've tried to break away from friendships for a while now, and I guess I'm not good at it or something, because once I make friends with someone, it takes something really strong to break that.

    And I <3 that magnetic poem. Way cool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always love to hear from you...and the anonymous option is open for those feeling shy.