Nancy Pagh on Poetry Daily today!

This is a wonderful book, which I highly recommend. A poem from NO SWEETER FAT by Nancy Pagh--


I Believe I Could Kneel


I believe I could kneel
in so many quiet places
where the pale sponge of moss
would surely reach above
my hips as I sank down and down
as the deer must in their beds
kneeling once, then once again
to lower themselves front and back
before closing their glistening eyes.

I think I am the kind of person
down on one knee and shifting my weight
my whole life long
but capable of sinking far, and deep,
to the bottom of something
that might replace the religion I discarded
or make me really live in this body
or waste my life.

I would like to live my way into being
someone who stands back up
and runs toward that holy forest.


Nancy Pagh
No Sweeter Fat
Autumn House Press

Comments